Thursday, July 17, 2008

Western Cards

I know I have already been informed that I need to change the date on my camera...actually I would like to have it removed, but these were taken today. My sister in law let me use this stamp set that she uses to accessorize her scrapbook pages for her daughter.
The technique used here is called "Split Negative"...see instructions below that I have copied from Splitcoast. Misty Thomas and Kathy White's version were my inspiration...Thanks ladies.

Recipe: All products used by Stampin' Up! unless told otherwise.

Stamp set: Bronc Buster and Starstruck page 106 and 107 of Spring/Summer catty

Card stock: In first card listed the "In Color" cardstock was used; In second card the "Earth Elements" was used.

Ink: Chocolate Chip and Whisper White

Accessories: Hemp Twine, Jumbo Eyelets, and rocks from my back yard.

Step 1
In selecting a stamp for this technique, look for something large enough to take center stage on the card with enough detail to make the split 'POP'. Symmetrical is good, but not necessary as shown here. Use the paper trimmer to cut one piece of neutral cardstock and one piece of dark colored cardstock the same size as the wood or acrylic block for the main image. This makes image placement, which is key for the technique, a breeze.

Step 2
Stamp image in VersaMark™ onto the dark colored cardstock, precisely lining up the block with the corners of the cardstock. Add vanilla embossing powder, tap off excess, and heat image.Tip: This technique is normally done in black and white. Try substituting contrasting colors of your choice.

Step 3
Repeat the process using pigment ink on the neutral cardstock, again lining the block up exactly with the corners of the cardstock. Emboss with clear embossing powder. Tip: Substitute VersaMark™ and colored embossing powder in this step.

Step 4
Determine the exact midpoint of the piece of cardstock and cut both images in half. There will be four half images at this point.

Step 5
Adhere two opposite images to a coordinating or complimentary piece of cardstock.Here, the image was pieced together on cardstock cut 1/4" larger than the original image's measurements, leaving a 1/8" border around the image.

Step 6
Use the image panels and embellishments of your choice to create two fabulous cards.

I dare you, NO, I triple dog dare you to do one yourself and send me a picture to show with my Stampin' Up friends. I know that there are some of you...Ginger...that never turns down a "Triple Dog Dare", can't wait to see your version of the card.

Off to clean now...ta ta.

No comments: